As part of your application to the HESA Program, two essays will serve as your personal statement. Each of the essays addresses a core tenet of the HESA Program.
Essay 1 – Reflective Practitioners (350-500 words)
A key focus of the University of Connecticut (UConn)’s Higher Education and Student Affairs (HESA) Program is to develop reflective practitioners. We focus on reflection because we believe it fosters self-awareness, exploration of multiple perspectives, and integration of theory with practice. The purpose of this essay is for you to engage in reflection and show how your interests and goals align with the experiences UConn’s HESA program is designed to offer. In this essay, you have the opportunity to discuss important life experiences and professional insights that help supplement your other application materials. Please be sure to specifically address each question in the prompt.
Prompt: Discuss and reflect on a significant learning experience from your collegiate or professional experience that influenced your interest in the field of higher education and student affairs.
- What was a significant learning experience that influenced your interest in the field of higher education and student affairs?
- What did you learn from this experience?
- Why was this experience significant to you?
- How do you hope to apply the insights from this experience to your graduate school education in UConn’s HESA Program?
Essay 2 – Inclusive Practitioners (350-500 words)
Another key focus of UConn’s HESA Program is to develop inclusive practitioners who value diversity and enact a commitment to equity; our Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement explains how we as a program work to achieve this aim. The purpose of this essay is for you to describe how you foresee yourself engaging within our HESA community to advance goals of diversity, equity, and inclusion. Please be sure to specifically address each question in the prompt.
Prompt: Discuss your professional goals related to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- What are your professional goals related to diversity, equity, and inclusion?
- How do you envision the UConn HESA program helping you meet your goals?
- How do you hope attainment of these goals will inform your practice in higher education and student affairs?